When considering vision correction options, one of the first questions people want to ask is how long does it take to recover from EVO ICL surgery? Vision correction procedures, such as LASIK, PRK and EVO ICL all have slightly different recovery times. EVO ICL has a quick initial recovery time followed by improved vision over the next several weeks and is often recommended for people with moderate to high myopic prescriptions (nearsighted), with or without astigmatism, or are not good candidates for LASIK or PRK. It is important to fully educate yourself in advance regarding the steps to a smooth recovery from EVO ICL so that you can plan accordingly.
Your recovery from EVO ICL surgery begins right away, even before you leave the Providence Eye & Laser Specialists procedure suite. Here are a few things to expect.
For the First 24 Hours:
- Dr. Nunnery, our EVO ICL surgeon, will tape clear plastic shields over your eyes after your procedure to prevent you from accidentally rubbing them. You will be able to see clearly right away but will need to wear the shields for the first 24 hours, except when you are instilling eye drops.
- Due to your eyes being dilated during the EVO ICL procedure, you should expect to have some light sensitivity for a few hours.
- Most people experience some level of burning, tearing and mild discomfort after their EVO ICL surgery. This is normal and passes in about four (4) hours.
- Plan to go right to sleep once you return home from your procedure to help bypass the burning and tearing phase.
- Similar to LASIK patients, you will return back to our office the following morning for your first post-procedure appointment where Dr. Nunnery will check your eyes and vision to ensure everything is healing as planned. You will then be cleared to drive and return to most normal daily activities.
For the First 7 Days:
- Avoid getting soap and water in your eyes. You may bathe and shower normally the day after your procedure.
- Do not wear eye makeup.
- Avoid exercises that cause sweating. You may begin light exercises (such as walking) the day after your EVO ICL surgery.
- You may begin regular exercises one (1) week after your procedure, but be sure to wear eye protection if impact to the eye is possible (such as with tennis, pickleball, racquetball, basketball and other contact sports).
For the First 14 Days:
- DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES. Moderate or severe rubbing should always be avoided.
- Avoid exposure to dust, smoke and yard work.
- Avoid all forms of swimming, including oceans, lakes, pools and hot tubs.
- If using a computer, take frequent breaks and lubricate your eyes often with eye drops.
- Avoid using a ceiling fan while sleeping.
For the First Month:
- Use extreme caution and wear eye protection when there is a risk of impact to the eye (such as playing contact sports, carrying small children, handling pets and doing yard work).
What Else To Expect During Your Recovery from EVO ICL Surgery
- Although you should have improved vision the day after your procedure, expect a bit of haziness for 1-2 weeks. Do not drive until you have been cleared by your surgeon during your first appointment following your EVO ICL surgery.
- Tear production may be temporarily reduced after your procedure. Use lubricating drops frequently for at least one (1) month or as directed by Dr. Nunnery.
- It usually takes 1-3 months on average for your vision to stabilize. Glare and halos are common at night and should dissipate over the next several months.
- You may be sensitive to light for two (2) weeks. If you begin experiencing more light sensitivity in the 3rd or 4th weeks, please contact Dr. Nunnery for further evaluation.
- Your vision may fluctuate from day to day, and even from morning to afternoon. This is normal, and the fluctuation should dissipate in 1-3 months.
During EVO ICL Recovery, Keep Up with Your Eye Drops
While you are recovering from your EVO ICL surgery, it is essential to stay consistent with your eye drops. You will need to take them for approximately the first 4-6 weeks. Be sure to always follow the instructions provided to you by Dr. Nunnery and his team.
At Providence Eye, we pride ourselves on our commitment to ensuring a seamless experience and a quick recovery time, all while also achieving the best results for your vision. During your comprehensive consultation with Dr. Nunnery, he will walk you through the EVO ICL procedure and answer any additional questions you may have about EVO ICL.